[Olympus] TOF work done and current status

Inti Lehmann i.lehmann at physics.gla.ac.uk
Tue May 10 07:49:50 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

FYI on what has been done re the TOFs and the current status.

The status of the TOF system has improved tremendously due to the hard work (15h shifts) of Scott and Tony over the last 2 weeks (instead of enjoying the nice weather in Hamburg...). Uwe and the Desy team also provided decisive help, thanks! Let me briefly summarise what has been done:

- All short flasher fibres (1m) have been connected securely to bars and light-tightening was re-done. (In contrast to the old ones which were taped only, these have been carefully glued into place.) Also a damaged light guide was repaired.

- All TOF modules have been moved to Doris. Thanks also to the effective Desy team.

- All the framing on the subframes has been completed.

- Every single scintillator has been detached from its backbone, re-aligned and secured with new brackets and tape distinguishing the different blocks by colour.

- The subframes have been moved into Olympus and all TOF modules have been installed. During the process 2 small TOFs got damaged, were removed, repaired and replaced. See:
http://www.nuclear.gla.ac.uk/~inti/share/ol/TOF/DSC02665.JPG

One issue was realised the night before their departure. We are not sure about the vertical alignment of the TOF modules and suspect that they are currently 3cm above the centre. Firstly, could someone veryfy if this is, indeed, correct? Secondly, would this be serious problem if true? From a very crude look at the drawings, I would assume that a 3cm offset should not yet affect the Olympus acceptance. Am I right?

What still needs to be done is cable labelling, cabelling, wrapping in mu-metal and the set-up of the flasher system.

Please note that the ends of the modules are fragile and one should now be very careful when working in that area.

Cheers,
Inti, Scott and Tony