[Olympus] Abstracts for the DPG spring conference in March in Mainz

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Fri Dec 30 12:59:00 EST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

please find below speaker nominations and abstracts for the DPG spring
conference on March 19-23, 2012 in Mainz. We have permission for late
submission of one group talk and two contributed talks. We will also
try to put in a poster. Please send me any comments and suggestions as
soon as possible. I am planning to submit the final abstracts before
Monday.

Best regards
    Michael

"Das OLYMPUS-Experiment am DESY"
Alexander Winnebeck, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
for the OLYMPUS Collaboration
Group talk (in German)

Das am DESY in Hamburg betriebene OLYMPUS Experiment untersucht den
Beitrag des Zweiphoton-Austauschs in elastischer Elektron-Protonstreuung
durch Messung des Verhaeltnises der Wirkungsquerschnitte von elastischer
Elektron- zu Positron-Proton-Streuung.
Im DORIS Speicherring, der sowohl Elektronen- als auch Positronenstrahlen
zur Verfuegung stellt, wurde ein internes H2-Gastarget installiert,
welches von einem magnetischen Spektrometer mit groer Akzeptanz umgeben
ist. In diesem Vortrag wird eine Uebersicht ueber die physikalische
Motivation und den experimentellen Aufbau gegeben. Die erste Datennahme
wurde im Februar 2012 beendet und erste vorlaeufige Ergebnisse werden
ebenfalls praesentiert.

"OLYMPUS tracking"
Axel Schmidt, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
for the OLYMPUS collaboration
Contributed talk

The OLYMPUS Experiment, underway at DESY, in Hamburg, Germany, is
measuring the cross-section ratio between electron and positron
elastic scattering from protons to definitively determine the two-photon
contribution to lepton-proton scattering. Elastic events are selected by
tracking the outgoing leptons and protons with a large acceptance magnetic
spectrometer to determine the scattering angles, momenta, and vertex. Two
large drift chambers each with 18 planes of sense wires are used to
determine the particle trajectories. Hits in each sense wire plane are
combined to form a three dimensional track through the detector. The
design of the OLYMPUS drift chambers, as well as a description of the
track reconstruction will be presented.

"OLYMPUS Luminosity Monitoring"
Ozgur Ates, Hampton University, Hampton, Virginia, USA
for the OLYMPUS collaboration
Contributed talk

The OLYMPUS experiment at DESY will measure the ratio of positron-proton
and electron-proton elastic scattering cross sections to quantify the
effect of two-photon exchange, which is widely considered to be
responsible for the discrepancy between measurements of the proton
electric to magnetic form factor ratio with the Rosenbluth and
polarization transfer methods. In order to control the systematic
uncertainties to the percent level, the luminosities are monitored
redundantly with high precision by measuring the rates for symmetric
Moller and Bhabha scattering, and by measuring the ep-elastic count rates
at forward angles and low momentum transfer with tracking telescopes based
on GEM (Gas Electron Multiplier) and MWPC (Multi Wire Proportional
Chamber) technology. The production, installation, and commissioning of
the OLYMPUS GEM luminosity monitors will be presented.

"The OLYMPUS Experiment at DESY"
to be presented by TBD
for the OLYMPUS collaboration
Poster presentation

The OLYMPUS experiment underway at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg
will determine the two-photon contribution to electron-proton elastic
scattering by measuring the cross section ratio between electron and
positron elastic scattering from the proton. The experiment utilizes the
storage ring DORIS at DESY with an internal gas target and a large
acceptance magnetic spectrometer. An overview of the physics motivation
for the experiment plus a description of the detector system will be
presented. The first data run was completed in February, 2012 and
preliminary results on the experimental operation and performance will
also be discussed.