[Olympus] Attachments on the messages to the olympus mailing list

Douglas Kenneth Hasell hasell at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 23 16:14:36 EDT 2008

Since two people have already asked me this.

When you mail attachments to the mailing list; the mailing list
application "scrubs" the attachment meaning: it removes the
attachment, stores it on the web server, and inserts the URL into the
message.

This saves sending large files to everyone on the mailing list using
up bandwidth.  Those who want to view the document can follow the
link, read it on their browser, and/or, if they wish, download it to
their computer.  However, the attachment is permanently stored on the
web server so you don't have to keep a copy on your own computer and
you can follow the link whenever you like to view the attachments.

This is one of the benefits of using the mailing list.  Not only are
the messages saved on the server but so are the attachments.

                                                                                 Cheers
,
                                                                                                  Douglas

26-415 M.I.T.                                                 Tel: +1
(617) 258-7199
77 Massachusetts Avenue                        Fax: +1 (617) 258-5440
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA                     E-mail: hasell at mit.edu