[mosh-users] Can't connect using Mosh on mobile/cellular network

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sat Jul 22 02:35:55 EDT 2017

On 2017-Jul-21 23:11:53 -0400, Nathan Van Ymeren <nathan.vany at gmail.com> wrote:
>I feel as though I have been missing out. Everywhere on the internet I read
>about how great mosh is when used over dodgy 3G/4G networks but I have
>never been able to connect unless I am on a WiFi network.

Based on your tests, it seems that your mobile operator is blocking
UDP traffic.  That is probably part of their efforts to block people
using VoIP.  You could verify that by using tcpdump or Wireshark on
your phone and the server and looking at the traffic mosh generates
(if there are no other sessions on your server, your phone will send
packets to UDP port 60001 on your server and the server will send
packets back in reverse).

You could try contacting you mobile operator and asking them but I
suspect your only option is a different mobile operator.

--
Peter Jeremy