[mosh-users] Mosh, clusterssh and colors

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Tue Jun 7 14:56:41 EDT 2016

Hello Keith,

thanks for your reply.

Keith Winstein [2016-06-07 10:24 -0700] :

> (1) Does mosh work properly by itself (forgetting clusterssh for the
> moment)?

I does so perfectly. I use it for my everyday work on the same server
with the same set-up without any problems.

Also, I don't get wrong colors with ssh+clusterssh. I only get wrong
colors with mosh+clusterssh. I might be wrong but that made me suspect
that it's related with mosh (and not something else).

> (2) When running mosh (either by itself or with clusterssh), does the
> 256colors script (http://scie.nti.st/dist/256colors2.pl) display properly
> (i.e. the same as ssh)?

This is what I get in mosh (without cssh):

http://i.imgur.com/dOIB4qu.png

This is what I get in ssh (without cssh):

http://i.imgur.com/alilACs.png

This is what I get in ssh+cssh:

http://i.imgur.com/uNfXl7I.png

This is what I get in mosh+cssh:

http://i.imgur.com/o1jgjzo.png

Thus, only what is described as "system colors" differs with mosh+cssh
but the entire color cubes with 256 colors are fine.

> This will help us figure out if the problem is with all 256color
> escape sequences or if there's something about the ones generated by
> clusterssh's base16 theme.

Just to prevent misunderstandings: the base16 theme has nothing to do
with clusterssh. It's a separate project.

> (3) What outer terminal emulator are you using, what version of
> mosh-client, and what version of mosh-server, on what operating systems for
> the client and server?

I use xterm:

# niklaas @ len-t420 in ~ [20:44:02]
$ apt-cache show xterm | grep Version
Version: 324-2

On the client:

# niklaas @ len-t420 in ~ [20:45:03]
$ uname -a
Linux len-t420 4.5.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.5.4-1 (2016-05-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux

# niklaas @ len-t420 in ~ [20:44:15]
$ apt-cache show mosh | grep Version
Version: 1.2.5-2

On the server:

# niklaas @ box-hlm-03 in ~ [20:46:15]
$ uname -a
FreeBSD box-hlm-03.xxxxxxx.xx 10.3-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue May 17 08:43:55 UTC 2016     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# niklaas @ box-hlm-03 in ~ [20:46:18]
$ pkg info | grep mosh
mosh-1.2.5                     Mobile terminal that supports intermittent connectivity

> (4) What is your TERM environment variable before you run mosh, and what is
> it on the server after you have logged in with mosh?

# niklaas @ len-t420 in ~ [20:51:05]
$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color

And after logging in with mosh+cssh on the remote machine:

# niklaas @ box-hlm-03 in ~ [20:52:24]
$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color

Kind regards,