[mosh-users] Problems with mosh-server and pselect syscall, fixed

Alexander Chernyakhovsky achernya at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 4 17:50:07 EST 2013

Hi Ingo,

To add to Keith's explanation that this happens with Xen, I believe it primarily happens when the VM is booted with a different kernel image than the one that is installed on the disk. My understanding is that Amazon does this for EC2, to guarantee that the kernel is compatible with their Xen, but as you found, this causes confusion with userspace. I would suggest checking the output of "uname -a" against whatever is the distribution-installed kernel.

Sincerely,
-Alex
From: mosh-users-bounces at MIT.EDU [mosh-users-bounces at MIT.EDU] on behalf of Keith Winstein [keithw at MIT.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 5:44 PM
To: Ingo Blechschmidt
Cc: mosh-users at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [mosh-users] Problems with mosh-server and pselect syscall,        fixed

Hello Ingo,

We think this problem happens when you have a userspace glibc that
doesn't match your kernel. (Because glibc would emulate the pselect()
call if it knew the kernel was before 2.6.16 and didn't support it
directly.) We've heard of this happening in Xen installations but I'm
not sure exactly how you are supposed to install Xen so this doesn't
happen. Thanks for the report and maybe somebody else knows better.

Best regards,
Keith