[mosh-users] Mosh, iTerm and tmux

William Uther will.uther+list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 15:07:19 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Keith Winstein <keithw at mit.edu> wrote:

> You may be interested in our conversation with the iTerm2 folks earlier
> this year -- please see
> https://www.mail-archive.com/mosh-devel@mit.edu/msg00304.html

That is interesting.  As I mentioned in my first email, I think tmux
command and control over mosh is a non-starter - they're both sync
protocols and would get in each other's way.

> The scrollback is on the agenda for us; unfortunately I doubt the
> integration to a native terminal emulator is going to happen anytime soon.

Ahh - perhaps I should have been clearer.  Here are some features and where
I think they should sit:

1) scrollback - already planned by mosh team
2) multiple tab/window support - this is my core feature suggestion for the
mosh team.  Think of this as extended scrollback - you're storing more
state on the server.  I'm also assuming that mosh-client would have quite a
primitive 'screen'-like interface to these multiple terminals.
3) iTerm integration to support the mosh-client protocol.  This would
obviously not be done by the mosh team.  I assume this would be done by
another interested party (possibly myself).  (In the same way that the
current tmux integration in iTerm was done by the iTerm team, not the tmux
team.)

> You could get somewhere by just running tmux locally (and maybe having it
> automatically run "mosh server" when you start up a new tab), but I realize
> that's probably not quite what you wanted.

Running tmux on the server inside each mosh session would get me scrollback
now, but it wouldn't work with the mac UI.

When mosh gets scrollback support, then one (me?) could still write
meaningful iTerm integration.  The difference between this and if mosh had
multi-window support would be the behaviour on opening a new tab.  With
multi-window support a new login shell is opened on the server and
forwarded over the original mosh connection to a new window opened by
iTerm.  Without multi-window support, iTerm would have to open a new mosh
connection to the server, run a new instance of mosh-server, etc.  The UI
experience would be quite similar once you were logged in, but would be
requires kerberos or pubic keys for a clean login experience (which is
quite doable).

Be well,

Will        :-}