[mosh-users] Mosh compilation on Fedora: protobuf

Alexander Chernyakhovsky achernya at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 2 13:53:37 EDT 2012

Hi Martin,

The error indicates that protoc is not in your path, please ensure that $PATH contains the folder you installed protobufs in.

However, please note that we have produced packages for Fedora 15 and newer, as well as RHEL 5 and newer. Packages for Fedora are available directly, just "yum install mosh". Packages for RHEL are available through Fedora EPEL, which you can install grabbing the appropriate release RPM, either from http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm or  http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm and then running "yum install mosh" (as per http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_software_repository.3F)

Sincerely,
-Alex
mosh packager for Fedora
From: mosh-users-bounces at MIT.EDU [mosh-users-bounces at MIT.EDU] on behalf of Martin Hannigan [hannigan at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:44 PM
To: mosh-users at mit.edu
Subject: [mosh-users] Mosh compilation on Fedora: protobuf

I've done some research and saw much commentary about work arounds for
a commonly referenced protobuf and mosh compilation problem, but can't
seem to make any of them work. I'm compiling with gcc version 4.4.6
20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4) (GCC) and I believe I have worked out all
of the dependencies. I consistently receive the following error:

checking for protoc... no
configure: error: cannot find protoc, the Protocol Buffers compiler

Might be useful to mention..

[root at localhost mosh-1.2.2]# !echo
echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
/root/lib/pkgconfig

and..

[root at localhost mosh-1.2.2]# ls /root/lib/pkgconfig/
protobuf-lite.pc  protobuf.pc

Thoughts?

Best,

-M<