[mosh-users] Mosh & firewall

Asa Zernik asaz989 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:28:41 EDT 2012

Rayson,

I've had this situation logging into an EC2 instance using mosh. Below
is what happens if you actually do this; though there was no specific
error message, opening the firewall to UDP ports 60000-61000 made
things work.

 From the user's perspective, mosh starts, but the screen stays blank,
with text in the top right saying that the server has been out of
contact for the last n seconds, with n counting up. It seems that
mosh writes to your local terminal as soon as it manages to get an
the initial SSH connection and start up the UDP listening daemon on
the remote end, without actually checking if it can get any UDP
packets through.

Hope that helps,

Asa