[mosh-users] Server install instructions and binaries

Samuli Kaipiainen samuli.kaipiainen at helsinki.fi
Wed Apr 11 03:32:22 EDT 2012

Hello! Like people just before me, I'm EAGER to try mosh, but cannot reasonably do so.

I have two servers available (a+b below). I guess I should ask both admins to install mosh. However:

* PLEASE put the server-side instructions on http://mosh.mit.edu/!  I had no idea I have to install the server, until mosh gives me "mosh-server: command not found" error.

* Can you provide static-linked binaries for common linuxee?

a) shell.cs.helsinki.fi, a student-playground on Univ Helsinki CS department. Tried to compile from source, but missing dependencies.

"configure: error: Package requirements (protobuf) were not met"

Tried to use binaries from my own Ubuntu, but missing library dependencies.

"bin/mosh-server: error while loading shared libraries: libprotobuf.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

After that, lost all energy to possibly compile a statically linked binary from scratch.

b) pera.asmallorange.com, which has "jailed shell" and no permissions to compile stuff.

Still waiting to try mosh! Thank you ^____^

/Sampumon