[mosh-users] locale settings on OS lion/snow leopard

Ben Zhao ravenben at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 9 22:34:55 EDT 2012

hey Keith (and anyone else)...

I'm trying to get mosh working on a mbp and a server running snow leopard server.
Unfortunately, any attempts to mosh into my server (thor) produces a complaint about:

"mosh requires a UTF-8 locale."

This is not too surprising since mac osx defaults to "C" locale. So I changed the locale settings in a number of places, including safari (which is supposedly the general setting for default apps, or so I've heard), terminal, and .cshrc.  Now running locale in the server side terminal produces:
thor Mon Apr 09(7:30pm)[~]:-> locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

This should be right.
But still.. same error.

Any suggestions? Have you guys tried running mosh on lion or snow leopard?

Ben