[mosh-devel] Working towards a mosh 1.4 release

Alex Chernyakhovsky achernya at mit.edu
Sun Feb 6 20:53:19 EST 2022

Hi folks,

I've done some preliminary work to see what it would take to produce a
(tentatively) mosh 1.4.0 release. Wolfgang has kindly kicked off the
process and set up Github Actions for CI, replacing the Travis CI we
had before. I've followed that up with a PR [1] to add support for
generating coverage reports, and run it at head so far [2].

There have been approximately 100 commits merged since mosh 1.3.2 was
released in 2017. Our goal is to review each of these commits and
either

a) conclude it's good as-is
b) it needs improved test coverage
c) it needs a fuzz test
d) something else entirely

To help with this, I've produced a spreadsheet [3] using `
git log mosh-1.3.2..master~3 --oneline
--pretty='=HYPERLINK("https://github.com/mobile-shell/mosh/commit/%H",
"%h 🔗")|%s'` and have added columns for folks to indicate they've
reviewed a commit and what the outcome is. The sheet is
world-readable, but please ping me for editor access if you're going
to volunteer to review some of these commits.

Once we've reviewed these commits and added any tests / fuzz tests as
needed, we should be ready to make a preview release. My goal is to
upload this to Debian experimental and encourage folks to test once
it's there.

At this time, I don't think we should be merging any of the
outstanding ~40 PRs unless they're fixing outstanding bugs. Any
features still under review should be deferred until after the 1.4
release.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Sincerely,
-Alex

[1] https://github.com/mobile-shell/mosh/pull/1173
[2] https://web.mit.edu/achernya/Public/mosh-1.3.2-105-gdbe419d-coverage/