[mosh-devel] snap package for mosh

Keith Winstein keithw at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 13 02:59:53 EST 2017

Hello Leo,

Thanks for getting in touch, and thanks for your kind words about mosh!

Right now we have a Debian package, which we maintain in our own source
tree, and which we upload to Debian every time there's a new release. That
flows into Ubuntu as part of the normal release schedule. For users who
want something more immediate, we also have the mosh-dev PPA that pulls
from our GitHub repository once a day and auto-builds the Ubuntu source and
binary packages, and then we have a "stable" mosh PPA as well, which only
gets updated on new releases.

Is it possible to teach Launchpad to also auto-build a snap once a day (if
our Git repo has changed), alongside the PPA .debs? Can we script Travis-CI
to automatically build and push a snap each time it runs a successful CI
test on the master branch? Or how would you recommend we do this?

Mosh is pretty simple so I doubt we're going to be pushing the boundaries
of the snap format -- it's basically two unprivileged binaries and some man
pages. And a bash-completion script that gets put
in /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/mosh. I guess that might be a
little more interesting, depending on whether snap can handle that.

Happy to work with you on this if you think there is user demand for it.

Cheers,
Keith