[mosh-devel] snap package for mosh

Leo Arias yo at elopio.net
Thu Jan 12 13:00:50 EST 2017

Hello!

I’m Leo. I work as part of the engineering team around Ubuntu and Snapcraft [1].

Last year I found about mosh, and it has been the most amazing experience. It
solves most of the problems due to my unstable latin american internet
connection; so first, let me say thank you very much!

I was reading about your new candidate release, and I thought that this might be
interesting for you. We’re working on snaps, a platform to enable developers to
directly control delivery of software updates to their users, and make their
software available in a secure way, with automatic updates in different
channels.

The channels are particularly relevant when trying to release new versions, and
solve an old problem we had with Ubuntu. Instead of having a 6 month cycle for
everybody, you can push different versions whenever you want. So you could push
a new version to the edge channel every time something lands on your repository,
to get extreme early feedback from your contributors. When you make a freeze to
stabilize for the release, you can push that to the beta channel. And when you
are ready to release but want to give it to a greater audience for the final
checks, you can push to the candidate channel. When everybody is happy with the
release, it can be pushed to the stable channel. Your users just decide the
level of risk they want to take, and they will constantly receive updates when
you push something new.

I this sounds like a good fit for your project, I would love to work with you
making the snap. I'm particularly interested in the feedback that you can give
us about a few new features that might be useful for mosh.

pura vida.

[1] http://snapcraft.io/