[mosh-devel] Naming, was Re: Termius + Mosh

Jim Cheetham jim.cheetham at otago.ac.nz
Tue Aug 8 20:14:53 EDT 2017

Part of the broader miscommunication here (assuming good faith, of course) seems to be around the use of protocol names vs product names; using "SSH" and "Telnet" to refer to protocols and not products. The protocol name SSP isn't well-known, and currently the public recognise only the name of the canonical server software, which is Mosh.

In practice, people set up "an SSH server" and don't tend to remember the name of the actual server software ... OpenSSH for example, or OpenSSH-Portable, which most Linux distributions are actually using :-)

Mosh's own website says "Mosh is a replacement for SSH", which conflates the software with the protocol. Perhaps "SSP is a replacement for SSH"? Of course, SSP is capable of more than that as far as I can see, SSP isn't actually a replacement for SSH, but the Mosh application uses SSP in order to replace users of SSH ...

Naming things seems to be one of the hardest things in computer science :-)
https://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html

And "mosh" is such an excellent name :-)

-jim

Excerpts from Keith Winstein's message of August 9, 2017 11:51 am:

--
Jim Cheetham, Information Security, University of Otago, Dunedin, N.Z.
✉ jim.cheetham at otago.ac.nz    ☏ +64 3 470 4670    ☏ m +64 21 279 4670