[mosh-devel] Checking for updates

Jim Cheetham jim.cheetham at otago.ac.nz
Wed Jun 8 17:47:18 EDT 2016

Quoting Peter Jeremy (2016-06-09 09:31:05)
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
> <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have mosh (from the command line) periodically
> > check some server somewhere (perhaps a DNS TXT record or something
> > similar) for available updates?
>
> I don't like the idea of mosh automatically doing network checks but I
> think the idea of a TXT record or a parseable HTML page that reports the
> current stable mosh version could be useful.

I agree with a fixed and verifiable way for upstream to publish their current version, but if you try to build in a mechanism for the code itself to reach out to the network to check I think you'd be making a mistake - extending the functionality of the code outside the core reason for the code to exist.

Also, you'd need to make the check configurable, so that distributions that take on the task of API stability and security patching (e.g. most Linux distros) can switch your checks off, because they wouldn't be relevant.

If someone wants to follow the bleeding edge, just keep track of the git master branch :-)

--
Jim Cheetham, Information Security, University of Otago, Dunedin, N.Z.
✉ jim.cheetham at otago.ac.nz    ☏ +64 3 470 4670    ☏ m +64 21 279 4670