[mosh-devel] --prefix of bash-completion? (wishlist?) Mosh 1.2.5 release candidate 2

Anders Kaseorg andersk at mit.edu
Sun Jun 28 14:35:34 EDT 2015

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015, C.v.St. wrote:
> I just run the "configure/make install" to test and added --prefix=$HOME
> assuming it would need nothing more to restrict it, to only be in my own
> $HOME.
>
> Too late I see, that "--enable-completion" does not follow the prefix
> and can not be installed this way.
>
> Is there a way to fix this 'inside the git repo' by the standard
> mechanisms, or could you create a warning and leave 'completion'
> disabled on the non-standard paths?

You asked for --enable-completion (it defaults to disabled), so mosh
installs its completion file to the directory it knows bash-completion
will read it from, via `pkg-config --variable=completionsdir
bash-completion` (on my system, /usr/share/bash-completion/completions).
If the completion file were installed to your home directory, it would not
be used.  In fact, keeping in mind that the default prefix is /usr/local,
if mosh tried to follow the prefix, it would almost never find the right
directory.

Anders