[mosh-devel] cygwin mosh wrapper problems?

Reini Urban reini at cpanel.net
Wed May 29 17:01:51 EDT 2013

On 05/29/2013 03:44 PM, John Hawkinson wrote:
> With my macbook pro in for service, I find myself trying to use Cygwin's
> mosh under WinXP (backup laptop), with some difficulty.
>
> I get:
>
> jhawk at black-zorkmid ~$ mosh --server=/mit/mosh_project/bin/mosh-server
> cvp.mit.edu
> mosh: Could not resolve hostname cvp.mit.edu: getaddrinfo: servname not
> supported for ai_socktype
> mosh: Did not find remote IP address (is SSH ProxyCommand disabled?).

The packaged cygwin mosh or latest git mosh compiled on cygwin?

> jhawk at black-zorkmid ~$
>
> Now, if I login with ssh and run mosh_server and then set the LANG and
> MOSH_KEY env vars locally, it works fine. Disappointly there's not a -d
> or a -v to the mosh wrapper to show me what it's really doing. And...I
> don't think cygwin has an strace/truss system-call tracing equivalent?

No, cygwin has a nice strace.
If your mosh is the perl script be sure to
strace perl /usr/local/bin/mosh cvp.mit.edu

> When my...normal laptop dev environment returns I guess I could offer
> some patches for improved diagnostics...

I get in cygwin with the official package (non-perl /usr/bin/mosh):

$ mosh cvp.mit.edu
The authenticity of host 'cvp.mit.edu (<no hostip for proxy command>)'
can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is 98:98:11:5b:bc:70:9d:a5:65:85:5a:20:89:c8:94:c3.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'cvp.mit.edu' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password:

With the latest cygwin patches and perl-mosh I have similar problems,
which I haven't found time to fix yet. I'm pretty sure it's a cygwin
perl problem with pipes, not mosh.

> P.S.: Also, http://mosh.mit.edu/#getting seems to me to list platforms in a
> very strange order. While the mosh user-base may not be typical of the
> entire Internet, I would think listing the Win and Mac platforms first
> would be wise, rather than listing them...dead last? (I think, maybe,
> also, not all Windows users recognize that Cygwin is the choice they
> want?).

Since we also have now a new native windows mosh with putty-like ui,
this is what they want. For sure :)

--
Reini

Working towards a true Modern Perl.
Slim, functional, unbloated, compile-time optimizable