[mosh-devel] MOSH reminiscent of SCTP?

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Sat May 25 08:06:14 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 08:38:56PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2013-May-24 10:02:02 +0200, "Rick van Rein (OpenFortress)" <rick at openfortress.nl> wrote:
> > What surprises me however, is that there is no mention at all of SCTP,
> >which seems very similar to what MOSH does, at least conceptually -- it
> >can move a node to another IP and continue its work.
>
> They aren't really that similar:
>              client IP               server IP
> MOSH         arbitrary              single fixed
> SCTP   multiple pre-arranged    multiple pre-arranged
>
> The power of MOSH is that it doesn't care about the client IP address -
> which is good in a roaming environment - especially when the client can
> wind up with an arbitrary address.

That's true. Nevertheless could the possibility of using multiple
pre-arranged server IPs probably help with the IPv4 to IPv6 protocol
switch help issue...

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)