[mosh-devel] MOSH reminiscent of SCTP?

Rick van Rein (OpenFortress) rick at openfortress.nl
Fri May 24 04:02:02 EDT 2013

Hello,

I think the design ideas that have gone into MOSH are splendid.  What surprises me however, is that there is no mention at all of SCTP, which seems very similar to what MOSH does, at least conceptually -- it can move a node to another IP and continue its work.  I'd imagine that splitting up the single SSH stream into separate SCTP streams would be a giant step to get it closer to MOSH.

Of course there is much extra to MOSH, such as the prediction of screen output and dealing with packet loss, but at the very least I'd expect some attention.  Something I only discovered just last night is that SCTP can do something that is a problem to MOSH, and that is hopping from IPv4 to IPv6 and back.

Of course SCTP runs everywhere except on Windows and SOHO routers, so it is defunct for all practical purposes, but tunneling it over UDP and handling it at an app layer is probably trivial.

Have you ever considered SCTP as an alternative, or as a carrier, for MOSH?

Thanks,

Rick van Rein
OpenFotress