[mosh-devel] mosh without ssh?

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 1 12:20:02 EDT 2013

Hello Weiwu,

The "mosh" wrapper script does use ssh, but only to remotely execute a
"mosh-server" on the server (running as the user) and collect the
session key it prints out.

Others have replaced SSH with HTTPS (the user authenticates with a
password or X.509 certificates and then gets the secret key in the Web
connection), or remctl (Kerberos). You could even use NFS by putting
files in magic places. Could these work for you instead?

Pretty much _any_ means of getting the server to start a mosh-server
process and convey the session key back to you would work. That's why
I think writing our own authenticating daemon on top of all the
existing ones is probably unnecessary.

If all else fails, you could remove the 60-second timeout from
mosh-server and just start 100 processes when you do have a
connection, and then save the corresponding port numbers and session
keys. Then just feed one of them to mosh-client when you feel like
starting a new session. (See timeout_if_no_client in
src/frontend/mosh-server.cc for this timeout.) I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Keith