[mosh-devel] mosh without ssh?

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Mon Jul 1 12:02:53 EDT 2013

Hi,

I don't expect that mosh will grow an authentication layer besides SSH
so quickly (and many are happy that mosh uses a well-known,
well-understood and proven system for authentication), but I know
something which may help for this:

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:46:33PM +0800, Weiwu Zhang wrote:
> † If constant data transfer over a threshold is detected, our national
> firewall would sometimes "halt" ssh, like giving it a speed of 1 byte
> per minute. This is to maintain basic utility of ssh and prevent it
> being used as a proxy to access 'harmful content'.

In case it just kills one TCP connection (and not all port 22
connections from the same IP), autossh[1] may help, If it detects a no
more working SSH connection, it kills it and starts a new one with the
same parameters.

[1] http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/ (Should also be available in
    many Linux distributions.)

		Kind regards, Axel