[mosh-devel] MOSH Ideas List 2013

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 18 13:52:52 EST 2013

Thanks, Tim. Our tentative thoughts on this are to create "slosh" as a
separate program that will fork a lightweight Linux container (with
unshare()) in a new network namespace with a TUN device, and gracefully
proxy all the network connections initiated from within the container to
the server, doing the right thing in the presence of roaming, intermittent
connectivity, or multihoming.

We've been doing some testing of this strategy and looks like it will be
pretty slick, and we'll be able to support X11 forwarding, SOCKS
forwarding, ssh-agent forwarding, etc., without trying to bolt everything
onto a remote terminal program. The downside is that it would be Linux-only
unless we can figure out how to make similar containers on BSD or OS X.
What do you think?

Cheers,
Keith