[mosh-devel] stripping locale support from mosh

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 5 04:25:15 EDT 2012

Hi Ed,

You can force mosh to start up outside a UTF-8 charset by editing the
is_utf8_locale() function (in src/util/locale_utils.cc) to always
return true. (Patch attached.)

As you can appreciate, it's a lot easier to maintain a terminal
emulator for _one_ charset than to try to make it agile and support
more than one. (UTF-8 vt220s are not backwards-compatible with 8-bit
vt220s, unfortunately, and screen historically has had loads of bugs
trying to convert between the two.) I don't think we're really eager
to support Mosh in more configurations because it gets complicated
quickly.

But you're welcome to turn off our paranoid checks if you need to in
your configuration. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Keith