[mosh-devel] Prompt length recognition

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Nov 19 12:28:04 EST 2012

Just my two cents:

* Adam Stankiewicz <sheerun at sher.pl> [2012-11-18 19:49:54 +0100]:
> For now if you hit backspace, it is going to delete half of the
> terminal prompt, and print it again afterwards.
>
> Using command prompt is standard, wouldn't it be possible for mosh to
> dynamically recognize the length of it and prevent erasing after
> holding the backspace?

And what if I'm using an editor and happen to have some lines which
start with the same characters? Then I can't erase them? ;)

* Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> [2012-11-19 18:53:45 +0200]:
> Also another related thing I thought about was that if after
> pressing enter the cursor moves to the same same X and Y or Y+1
> coordinate as after previous enter, it could immediately assume that
> prediction works (instead of only after typing 1 (or was it 2)
> chars).

Well, I don't want my password being echoed just because my command
prompt happens to be the same length than the "Changing password for
USERNAME" prompt or anything like that ;)

Mind you, people use other things than a shell in a terminal ;)

I previously brought up the suggestion of having a special "control
code" which means "end of prompt" so you could simply include that
into a shell- or irc-client-prompt.

Florian

--
() ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail    www.asciiribbon.org