[mosh-devel] Prompt length recognition

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 19 11:53:45 EST 2012

On 18.11.2012, at 20.49, Adam Stankiewicz wrote:

> For now if you hit backspace, it is going to delete half of the
> terminal prompt, and print it again afterwards.
>
> Using command prompt is standard, wouldn't it be possible for mosh to
> dynamically recognize the length of it and prevent erasing after
> holding the backspace?
>
> For example mosh could measure the length of prompt each time after
> hitting enter and save that information for later.
>
> What do you think?

A similar change would work for IRC clients too I think. Also another related thing I thought about was that if after pressing enter the cursor moves to the same same X and Y or Y+1 coordinate as after previous enter, it could immediately assume that prediction works (instead of only after typing 1 (or was it 2) chars).