[mosh-devel] mosh 1.2.2 released

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 13 15:27:54 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

We have been testing it at MIT for a few weeks with no reported difficulty
getting packets through. (I didn't put this in the 1.2.2 release though
because we haven't really tested it enough, and I'm skitting about sending
ECT when we just ignore ECN -- it seems like cheating.)

I have found:

(a) OS X refuses to let users set the DiffServ codepoint & ECT and returns
an error. I think OS X may only permit the original IP TOS types. I
haven't tested whether the DiffServ codepoint or ECT works separately. It
works fine on Linux and I assume FreeBSD (haven't heard any reports to the
contrary).

(b) MIT's routers seem to strip the DiffServ codepoint after one hop.

===

Separate question: If we're setting ECT, what do you recommend we _do_
when we get ECN? My best idea is that we just alter the timestamp_reply we
send back, which would be a clean way of getting the other side to
gradually slow down its transmissions (because it would affect the SRTT,
which governs our "frame rate").

But I'm a little concerned about the security implications here -- I don't
want a bad guy to be able to sniff one packet from us and then replay it a
million times with ECN set to cause a DoS. So my thinking is we would only
respond to ECN if it's a _new_ packet (with sequence number greater than
any seen before). We use the same filter to decide whether to update our
timing statistics so it seems somewhat natural.

Have you seen anybody discuss the appropriate use of ECN in a
security-sensitive transport protocol? TCP does not seem worried about
this DoS.

===

Third question for you: I had to take out the "out-of-order delivery"
warning because we found that MIT's 802.11n network aggressively reordered
packets, apparently because of the "block acks" feature in the protocol.
In a full-throttle TCP download, something like 30-50% of all packets will
be "out of order"! This seems like it will hurt TCP performance (since TCP
will send an ACK immediately on any out-of-order packet). I have also
heard a few reports from people outside MIT.

RFC 3366 ("Advice to link designers on link Automatic Repeat reQuest")
basically says that if a link layer is going to reorder packets, it should
not cause a huge number of out-of-order deliveries to IP (and should put
packets back in order itself if necessary and possible without a large
delay).

Have you heard anything about this and whether it's common in major
802.11n deployments or was discussed by the IETF community? It seems like
it may be really hurting TCP performance.

Cheers,
Keith