[mosh-devel] Application specific agents, side-channel file transfers and triggers

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko at opensourcehacker.com
Thu Apr 26 07:13:14 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:24:31AM +0300, Mikko Ohtamaa wrote:
> > Thanks Alex.
>
> Axel.
>
> > I think your answer pretty much summarizes *why* we need something
> > with better integration options :)
>
> And I frankly think that mosh is definitely the wrong place for
> anything file transfer.

Thank you for your opinion. I am not looking for anything regarding file
transfer. Let me try to demostrate the requirement again. Thinking this as
a file transfer use case is the first step to wrong direction and falling
back old workflows which I am here trying to replace with something better.
File transfers have been working reliably 30 years now. However, this is a
matter of user interaction I kindly ask you think outside a box for a
while:

1. I am on a shell on the remote server via mosh (note: I don't want to go
to a local computer to start some application to tell it to connect to this
server and then browse to the file)

2. I type in command "redit file.txt"

3. I want redit to contact mosh session to send to signal to my local
computer "Mikko wants run this command against this this file on this
server"

I don't care how file is tranferred to my computer, tranferred to the
server, or not tranferred at all. I just wan to have a channel for this
signaling mechanism, so that local applications could take action on remote
commands / signals.

Please tell me if this is not right place to discuss about such matters
then what is.

Thanks,
Mikko

--