[MOS] 10/27 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Dan Fu (University of Washington)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Tue Oct 20 12:14:17 EDT 2020

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, October 27 at 12pm. A Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link:

https://mit.zoom.us/j/93519098713?pwd=RDVpdXNab1hRWVZJR0dqTUQrTWh1Zz09
Passcode: 397855
__________________________
Dan Fu
University of Washington

“Quantitative chemical imaging of structure and function in living biological samples –
from single cells to animals”

Cell heterogeneity plays a critical role in many pathophysiological processes such as cancer development and neurodegeneration. However, phenotypic variations of individual cells in a complex organ are often intractable by traditional analytical techniques. The main obstacles are the limited amount of analyte in a single cell and the need for noninvasive in situ analysis in order to preserve cell function and microenvironmental information. My lab focuses on the development of label-free pump-probe microscopy techniques that enables quantitative chemical and functional measurements at high spatial and temporal resolution from cultured cells to living animals. Specifically, we apply high sensitivity stimulated Raman scattering microscopy, an emerging chemical imaging tool, to study cell microenvironment and disease processes. We also develop transient absorption microscopy to study a wide range of red blood cell associated functional processes such as neurovascular coupling in mouse brain. Together, we aim to build an integrated chemical imaging platform and couple it with advanced data analysis for comprehensive structural and functional imaging of living biological samples at single cell resolution.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry