[MOS] 11/19 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Marcus Cicerone

Michelle Contos mcontos1 at mit.edu
Tue Nov 12 09:54:36 EST 2019

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, November 19 in 34-401A<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=34> at 12pm

Marcus Cicerone

Georgia Institute of Technology

“Discovering Biology with Broadband Coherent Raman Microscopy”

Spectroscopic coherent Raman imaging (CRI) methods allow label-free, chemically specific imaging of materials and biological systems, and are opening up many exciting possibilities for understanding phenomena in these systems. When we first introduced spectroscopic coherent Raman imaging in 2004, we could acquire spectra only from bulk polymers and liquids. Now, after many years of development, we easily acquire label-free micrographs of biological cells and tissues at 3.5 ms for each spectral image pixel. Figure 1 provides an example of a murine pancreas section, showing major structural features, although much more spectral image information is available. Initially it was not clear that acquiring such spectra would be possible, but a recognition that an intrinsic and strong nonresonant signal could be used to enhance weak resonant signals made it possible to obtain these signals above detector noise. Further improvements in signal generation and spectral retrieval algorithms, now provide for highly robust and rapid spectral imaging. I will briefly introduce broadband spectroscopic coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (BCARS) microscopy, discussing some of the key concepts that make this method practical. I will also present selected application examples from studies on C. elegans metabolism and human cytomegalovirus infection that highlight the utility of BCARS for discovering new biology through in-depth characterization of highly complex biological systems.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar!

Michelle Contos
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry