[MOS] 4/23 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Julie Biteen (University of Michigan)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Tue Apr 16 09:27:42 EDT 2019

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, April 23 at 12pm in 5-234

**Please note location**

Julie Biteen
University of Michigan

“Single-molecule imaging uncovers nanometer-scale fundamentals of cell biology and plasmonics”

Our lab has been developing new super-resolution fluorescence microscopy methods to locate, track, and analyze single molecules to answer fundamental, unanswered questions in living bacterial cells. I will discuss how we are measuring and understanding the dynamical interactions essential for carbohydrate catabolism in the human gut microbiome. Overall, our results provide fundamental insight of relevance to human health and disease.

On the other hand, the resolution of single-molecule bio-imaging is limited by the brightness of fluorescent probes. I will discuss how we are addressing this limitation by taking advantage of the localized surface plasmon resonances that result from the interaction of light with metal nanoparticles to improve the brightness and photostability of nearby fluorescent labels. We have measured plasmon-enhanced fluorescence one dye at a time in a single-molecule approach that eliminates ensemble averaging to discover how coupling leads to a predictable shift of the emission position, angle, and polarization.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar!

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry