[MOS] 11/8: Special LBRC Seminar with Ben Ovryn, Ph.D.

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Thu Nov 1 11:20:55 EDT 2018

There will be a Special Seminar hosted by the Laser Biomedical Research Center on Thursday, November 8 at 4:30pm in the Moore Room (6-321):

Ben Ovryn, Ph.D.
“Single molecule tracking and super-resolution imaging of glycoconjugates on membranes, nanotubes and filopodia in live cells”

The surface of eukaryotic cells is covered with a dense layer of glycans that affect numerous physiological processes and aberrant cell-surface glycosylation has been implicated in cancer, inflammation and other diseases. Using a combination of bioorthogonal click reactions, super-resolution imaging and single molecule tracking, we are able to observe the dynamics of cell-surface glycans on live cells with high spatial and temporal resolution. Our custom microscope also implements a form of confocal interference microscopy, based upon laser feedback interferometry, to simultaneously measure the topography of the membrane. We now seek to experimentally verify the predictions of our model which incorporates the energetics that govern the nucleation, growth and disassembly of early integrin adhesions in the presence of long glycan molecules. Our experimental approach has enabled the visualization of dynamic tunneling nanotubes connections between cells and the tracking of glycosylated receptors along the surface of these membranes.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry