[MOS] Today, March 29, 2016, Edward Eyler, University of Connecticut

Rebecca Teixeira rebeccat at mit.edu
Tue Mar 29 10:11:23 EDT 2016

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Rapid Deceleration of Atoms and Molecules by Bichromatic Optical Forces

Edward Eyler

Physics Department, University of Connecticut

Tuesday, March 29, 2016
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

The optical bichromatic force is a coherent optical force that can be orders of magnitude stronger than the saturated radiative force used commonly for laser cooling and trapping, while also exhibiting a much wider velocity range.  It relies on a momentum transfer process in which photons are absorbed from a two-frequency beam, then coherently emitted into a separate counterpropagating beam.  Because this coherent cycling can be much faster than radiative decay, momentum transfer is rapid and losses from radiative decay into inaccessible “dark” states are minimized.  My group has been exploring applications of coherent optical forces for deceleration and cooling of both atoms and molecules, using a combination of experimental studies and computer modeling.  The bichromatic force looks particularly promising for simplifying the production and trapping of ultracold molecules.  We have selected the B↔X transition of calcium monofluoride (CaF) as a target system, for which detailed numerical simulations have recently been completed and experimental tests are presently underway.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401A
Refreshments served after the lecture