[MOS] November 3, 2015, Gabriel Popescu, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Zina M Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Wed Oct 28 11:39:29 EDT 2015

Seminar on

  Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Quantitative Phase Imaging in Biomedicine
Gabriel Popescu,

Tuesday, November 3, 2015
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Quantitative phase imaging (QPI) is emerging as an exciting, label-free alternative to studying cells and tissues. Unlike fluorescence imaging, QPI is not limited by photobleaching and photoxicity and, thus, can monitor cell function over arbitrary time scales, from milliseconds to many days. We have developed Spatial Light Interference microscopy (SLIM) as a highly sensitive QPI method. Due to its sub-nanometer pathlength sensitivity, SLIM enables interesting structure and dynamics studies. I will review some of the latest demonstration of SLIM as a label-free tissue scanner and tool for cancer diagnosis and prognosis in unstained biopsies.   Because it operates without labels and at low illumination power densities, QPI is potentially an ideal option for studying embryo development. However, this application comes with a new set of challenges due to the large (2-300s microns thick), highly inhomogeneous objects of interest, which generate strong multiple scattering. We found that, for this goal, measuring derivatives of the phase rather than the phase itself, suppresses much of the scattering background. Our new method, Gradient Interference Microscopy (GIM), allows for imaging embryos over several days and providing information about their viability. I will present our new results on using GIM for studying bovine embryos.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture