[MOS] October 13, 2015, Adam Wax, Duke University

Zina M Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Wed Oct 7 10:30:07 EDT 2015

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Nanoscale imaging and sensing of live cells

Adam Wax,
Duke University
Tuesday, October 13, 2015
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
The study of intact, living cells and tissues using non-invasive optical spectroscopic methods offers the opportunity to assess structure and function in a way that is not possible with traditional methods.  We have developed quantitative phase imaging methods which can image changes due to disease and dysfunction at the nanoscale.  Recent results will be presented showing how quantitative phase images reveal nanoscale changes in red blood cells which can detect disease as well show signs of dysfunction due to aging.  Our group has also developed plasmonic gold nanoparticles as imaging labels which may be incorporated into this imaging approach for molecular contrast.  We will present our scheme for optimizing sensing of plasmonic labels within quantitative phase imaging and demonstrate how this molecular contrast can aid in detecting disease at the cellular level.  Finally, we will present new results showing how nanoscale changes can reveal cell mechanical properties for biophysical cell studies as well as understanding the origin of disease.
Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture