[MOS] October 6, 2015, Lucy Ziurys, University of Arizona

Zina M Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Thu Oct 1 08:35:27 EDT 2015

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Heavenly (and Earthly) Rotational Spectroscopy of Transient Molecules:  from the Microwave to THz Regimes
Lucy Ziurys,
University of Arizona

Tuesday, October 6, 2015
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Pure gas-phase rotational spectroscopy has many important applications in areas such as astrophysics, organometallic synthesis, and materials science. In the Ziurys laboratory, we have been conducting such spectroscopy using a combination of millimeter/sub-mm/THz direct absorption methods and Fourier Transform Microwave/Millimeter techniques, covering the frequency range 4 GHz to 1 THz. Our particular focus has been the study of small reactive species containing metals, which involve unusual synthetic methods involving laser ablation, electrical discharges, and Broida ovens. Our more recent work has concerned metal dicarbide radicals including YC2, ScC2, and AlC2 – all T-shaped species (X̃ 2A1) with an exotic structures - as well as the metal oxides and hydrides such as ScO (X2Σ+), the titanium isotopologues of TiO (X3Πr), and the high spin molecule CrH (X6Σ+). Studies of zinc insertion products such as IZnCH3 and ClZnCH3 (X̃ 1A1) will also be presented. Related astrophysical implications will be discussed.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture