[MOS] March 31, 2015, Thomas Bischof, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Zina M Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Thu Mar 26 09:42:09 EDT 2015

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Understanding excitons and multiexcitons in colloidal nanocrystals

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

For colloidal quantum dots (QDs), bound electron-hole pairs, or excitons, form the basis for our understanding of their photophysics. When QDs are used for applications requiring long-term stability under high excitation fluence, multiply-excited states known as multiexcitons become increasingly important for understanding the mechanisms leading to photodarkening and other detrimental effects.  In this talk, we discuss how we can experimentally probe the dynamics and statistics of excitonic and multiexcitonic states in colloidal quantum dots. We begin by examining the relationship between the behavior individual QDs and ensembles, and how single-molecule methods can be developed to probe such behavior. Next we examine a case study of infrared-emitting InAs, and compare their excitonic behavior to that of CdSe. Finally we discuss the dynamics of biexciton emission from CdSe, as revealed by a number-resolved spectroscopy.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401

Refreshments served after the lecture