[MOS] March 24, 2015, Mathias Kolle, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Zina M Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Thu Mar 19 10:55:56 EDT 2015

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Biological inspiration in

Optics and Photonics

Mathias Kolle,

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

The research in the Laboratory for Bio-inspired Photonic Engineering is focused on the fundamental aspects of conceiving and developing multifunctional, hierarchically structured, bio-inspired material systems with particular focus on stimuli-responsive and dynamically tunable optical performance. In this regard, we can benefit in several ways from highly sophisticated material solutions that have convergently evolved in various organisms. We explore design concepts found in biological photonic architectures, seek to understand the mechanisms underlying morphogenesis of bio-optical systems, aim to devise viable manufacturing strategies that can benefit from insight in biological formation processes and the use of established synthetic routines alike, and ultimately strive to realize new photonic materials with tailor-made optical properties. Recently, we invented color-tunable elastic photonic fibers, a fully synthetic material analogue of the photonic structures found in a tropical fruit. We aim to establish these fibers as a material platform for applications in visual stress and strain sensing, the optical assessment of mechanical properties of living tissue, or as components in dynamic textiles and flexible photonic circuitry. In this presentation, I am going to provide an overview of our researchon biological photonic systems and I will discuss examples of photonic materials that exploit specific biological light manipulation strategies.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401

Refreshments served after the lecture