[MOS] March 3, 2015, Rishikesh Pandey, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Zina M Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Mon Mar 2 08:10:20 EST 2015

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Raman Spectroscopy in pathology:

  Quo vadis?

Rishikesh Pandey,

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

Raman spectroscopy has shown enormous potential in sensitive and specific elucidation of latent information of a diverse array of pathophysiological conditions. This talk will highlight the application of Raman spectroscopy in two important clinical domains, namely middle ear pathology and alternative glycemic marker detection. I will present the first demonstration of Raman spectroscopy potential in distinguishing two morphologically similar middle ear conditions namely cholesteatoma and myringosclerosis based on the endogenous molecular contrast. The other focal point of this talk is the development of a Raman spectroscopy based assay for reagent-free, objective and multiplex detection of alternative glycemic markers. These results demonstrate the path forward towards our dream of clinical translation of such integrative photonics solutions which offer new diagnostic methods, due to their ability to provide high-throughput and high-content information in real-time and with minimal system perturbation.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401

Refreshments served after the lecture