[MOS] October 18, 2011

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 17 16:21:06 EDT 2011

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Orientational Dynamics of water probed with ultrafast 2D IR spectral anisotropy

Krupa Ramasesha,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
The rapidly evolving structure of liquid water’s hydrogen bond network is at the heart of numerous aqueous physical phenomena such as ion solvation and mobility, the hydrophobic effect, proton transport, chemical reactivity and biological processes. Ultrafast 2D IR spectroscopy has proven to be a useful tool in probing local fluctuations and structural reorganization of water on femtosecond to picosecond timescales. Rearrangements of the hydrogen bond network of liquid water are believed to involve rapid and concerted hydrogen bond switching events, during which a hydrogen bond donor molecule undergoes large angle molecular reorientation as it exchanges hydrogen bonding partners. We have performed measurements of ultrafast 2D IR spectral anisotropy on the OH stretching vibration of HOD in D2O to directly track the reorientation of water molecules as they change hydrogen bonding environments.6 My talk will summarize the results and conclusions from these experiments.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture