[MOS] October 11, 2011

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 7 08:48:25 EDT 2011

     Seminar on

 Modern Optics and Spectroscopy
Exploiting optical phase for cellular imaging and sample turbidity suppression

Zahid Yaqoob,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Biomedical optics is a rapidly growing field aimed at developing new tools for diagnostics and therapeutics. One of the trends in the field is to use the relative phase information of the light to improve the imaging capabilities of light microscopy. To this end, I will discuss recent advances in quantitative phase microscopy – a popular technique to measure of the structure and function of biological cells. Applications such as studying cell biomechanics and cell growth using quantitative phase microscopy will be highlighted. In this talk, I will also discuss the possibility of overcoming light scattering, which limits the transmission of light through turbid media and as such severely limits the penetration depth of existing optical imaging modalities. Fortunately, light scattering is deterministic, and can be suppressed / reversed by controlling the wavefront of incident light. I will discuss the capabilities and limits of some of the approaches, such as digital optical phase conjugation, developed in our laboratory to overcome sample turbidity.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture