[MOS] TODAY November 30, 2010

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 30 09:07:14 EST 2010

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Unexpected insights into oriented cell motility using microfluidic tools

Daniel Irimia,
Massachusetts General Hospital,
Harvard Medical School

Tuesday, November 30, 2010
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Oriented cell motility is a fundamental feature of living cells.  Directional migration of leukocytes against infections, epithelial repair during wound healing, proper niche engraftment of stem cells, or directional motility of embryonic cells during morphogenesis are all examples for the ability of cells to orient and move in a chemotactic fields.  In recent years, intense research revealed many molecules and circuits responsible for oriented motility; however, the cellular-scale mechanisms and the dynamics of interactions between the signaling molecules remain elusive.  To better understand the mechanisms of oriented motility, we are employing novel microfluidic tools for precise stimulations of moving cells and quantitative measurements of their responses.  We uncovered several unexpected responses of neutrophils (white blood cells with critical roles in protecting us from bacterial infections), like the delayed turning behavior in response to fast changes in the direction of chemical gradients, the retrograde movement in response to steep chemical gradients, or the tug of war at the front of the cell upon combined chemical and mechanical challenges.  We also extrapolated the use of these tools towards the study of cancer cells and observed unexpectedly fast and persistent migratory phenotype induced in conditions of mechanical confinement.  Moreover, we started exploring the utility of the novel microfluidic tools to measure alterations of cell motility in disease conditions and, in collaborations with medical teams, to probe the clinical implications of cell motility in the context of infections, burn injuries, and cancer metastasis.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture