[MOS] May 4, 2010

Zina Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Mon May 3 09:02:39 EDT 2010

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Novel reaction mechanisms revealed by high-resolution Ion Imaging

Arthur Suits,
Wayne State University

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Ion imaging techniques have emerged as a powerful means of
investigating elementary atomic and molecular interactions. Recent
developments have led to extraordinary velocity resolution and opened
the door to a range of applications. We will introduce these
techniques and show two distinct applications: in the first, we
present a study of the dissociation of formaldehyde to CO + H2 that
reveals a new "roaming atom" reaction mechanism that avoids the
region of the transition state entirely. The combination of
state-correlated photodissociation results and photofragment
excitation spectra allow us to explore the detailed dynamics of this
pathway as well as the "conventional" molecular elimination process,
and to explore the energy dependent branching in this multichannel
unimolecular reaction. Our second series of studies explores novel
primary photochemical processes relevant to hydrocarbon growth
processes in the atmosphere of Saturn's moon, Titan

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture