[MOS] April 6, 2010

Zina Queen zqueen at mit.edu
Mon Apr 5 09:10:58 EDT 2010

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Breasts and brains, similarities and differences:  Understanding the
basic science behind Optical Molecular imaging

Warren Warren,
Duke University

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Conventional clinical imaging methods, such as MRI or X-rays, are
good at measuring structure but not function, and thus are often
useless for early diagnosis of disease. Molecular imaging-the use of
localized chemical signatures-is a rapidly expanding field which
fuses chemistry, physics, and engineering to enable a revolution in
medical practice.  I will discuss a variety of applications (focusing
largely on our work with nonlinear optical methods, with some context
provided by magnetic resonance) which illustrate this fusion.  For
example, we have developed the technology to "sculpt" ultrafast laser
pulses in time, thus letting us image molecular singatures other than
fluorescence-for example, stimulated emission, sum frequency
absorption, and self phase modulation. We will discuss applications
to  hemoglobin, melanins and other molecules to diagnose skin cancer;
to imaging neuronal firing; and to high resolution stimulated Raman
microscopy.  The ultimate goal is to develop enhancements to the
radiologist's "tool kit" which save lives, reduce medical costs, and
improve public health.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture