[MOS] March 31, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 27 11:16:05 EDT 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

C.V. Raman: discovery of the effect and attribution of credit

Barry Masters, MIT

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

In 1928, C. V. Raman (1888-1970) discovered the Raman Effect. Prior
to Raman's experimental discovery the Raman effect was predicted in
papers by Smekal, and later by Kramers and Heisenberg. What is the
physical basis of the Raman Effect? What is the importance of Raman
spectroscopy in the field of optics? What was the detailed nature of
the key experiments that resulted in this discovery?  How did Raman's
experiments fit into the corpus of knowledge on the topic of light
scattering and spectroscopy at the time. Two Russian physicists, G.
S. Landsberg (1890-1957) and L. I. Mandelstam (1879-1944) made a
simultaneous discovery of the same effect. This talk is based on the
primary sources: the complete published works of C. V. Raman;  the
published works of Smekal; Kramers and Heisenberg; Landsberg, and
Mandelstam; together with a number of published biographical papers
and books that I use to decipher the confounding path to the
discovery of the Raman Effect. What was the role of Adolf Smekal on
the Smekal-Raman Effect? What was the scientific style of C. V.
Raman? How was his discovery of the Raman Effect received by the
physics community? Why did the Nobel Prize award not include the two
Russian physicists who made the simultaneous discovery of the Raman
Effect? Finally, following a perusal of the complete published works
of C. V. Raman what can we conclude about his interests, his research
methodology, and his scientific style that may provide insights into
the origins of creative genius?

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture