[MOS] March 11, 2008

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 10 10:01:54 EDT 2008

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Wonshik Choi,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Field-based 3D microscopy for live cell imaging

March 11, 2008

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Over the past decades powerful optical microscopy techniques for
probing and imaging biological cells and tissues have been developed.
Advances have been made to improve spatial and temporal resolution,
chemical and molecular specificities, and depth range of imaging.
However, most of these developments are based on measuring the
intensity of light.  Our group has developed phase microscopy
techniques for quantifying not only the intensity but also the phase
of the light, which we term as a field-based technique in comparison
with conventional intensity-based technique. In this talk, we report
a new field-based 3D microscope which can map the distribution of
refractive index as well as absorption in live cells and tissues. We
demonstrate tomographic imaging of cells and multicellular organisms,
and time-dependent changes in cell structure. Our results will enable
quantitative characterization of specimen-induced aberrations in
high-resolution microscopy, and have multiple applications in tissue
light scattering.