[MOS] April 22, 2008

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 18 08:54:35 EDT 2008

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Martin Gruebele,
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

STM-assisted single molecule absorption spectroscopy

APRIL 22, 2008

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

Scanning tunneling microscopy provides exquisite spatial resolution,
but only moderate energy resolution via current-voltage derivative
curves.  Absorption spectroscopy can resolve individual molecular
energy levels, but usually provides no spatial information.  We
combined the two techniques by using an STM tip to detect the
electron density change when a molecular absorption line is
resonantly excited by a laser.  There are plenty of technical
difficulties, beginning with laser heating effects, and I show how
they can be overcome by combining laser frequency modulation, rear
illumination, tip field enhancement, and lock-in detection of the STM
current signal.  The results is a technique that simultaneously
returns topographic images and absorption spectra with sub-molecular
resolution.  The ability to tell where a macromolecule actually
absorbs can be usefully applied, for example to detecting defects in
the molecule invisible in ordinary STM scans.  Future applications to
energy transfer from one quantum dot to another will also be
discussed, along with ultrathin gold surfaces needed to satisfy the
requirements of both STM and absorption spectroscopy.