[MOS] November 21, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 20 09:49:08 EST 2006

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Hans Bechtel, MIT

Partner swapping:  Another reason to pump and dump

November 21, 2006

12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

Abstract:

Isomerization reactions, in which a molecule
keeps the same set of atoms, but swaps partners,
are prevalent in all areas of chemistry and have
strong implications for astronomy, biology,
combustion, and the environment.  We study
prototypical isomerization reactions with high
energy barriers such as HCN î HNC, HCCH î CCH2,
and NCCN î NCNC.  In order to better elucidate
the nature of these reactions, we wish to observe
molecules in states of undress, i.e. near the top
of the energy barrier while old bonds are being
broken and new bonds are being formed.  These
barrier proximal states are hard to identify
because they are only a small subset of the more
numerous and less interesting highly excited
vibrational states.  The large amplitude motion
embodied in the rare barrier-proximal states,
however, causes changes in the electronic
properties of the molecule that provide markers
to distinguish them from other states.  To
prepare these highly energetic states with
non-equilibrium motions, we rely on stimulated
emission pumping (SEP), a double resonance
technique involving a PUMP laser to an excited
electronic state and a DUMP laser back to the
ground electronic potential energy surface.