[MOS] November 7, 2006

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 7 08:45:54 EST 2006

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Pablo Jarrillo-Herrero, Columbia University

Low temperature electronic transport properties of graphene

November 7, 2006

12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

Abstract:

Abstract:
Graphene, a single sheet of graphite, is a two-dimensional material
which has been long-studied theoretically, but only recently become
available to experimentalists. Recent experiments have shown that the
electronic properties of graphene are even more remarkable than
previously thought. In my talk I will describe the fabrication and
characterization of graphene devices, and introduce their basic
electronic properties. I will then focus on the fundamental aspects
of quantum electronic transport through graphene, which have led, for
example, to the discovery of unusual quantizations of the Hall effect
or the so-called "minimum conductivity" problem. I will end by
showing our recent experiments where we study induced
superconductivity in graphene, an observation which elucidates on the
quantum coherent properties of electrons in this novel
two-dimensional electron gas.