[Mobilepartners] Mobile Partners User Group Meeting 9/21/2007 Invitation

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 18 13:22:40 EDT 2007

Date: 9/21/2007 (Friday)
Time: 2pm
Location: N42 Demo Center

                     Mobile Partners presents:
           The Nokia N95: Great Phone, or Greatest Phone?
                          By Oliver Thomas

Come join us for a demo and discussion of something we have not talked
much about at Mobile Partners: the latest in Symbian phones. We will be
demonstrating the Nokia N95, which is about to make its official
appearance on the US market. Can it really do anything? How does it
measure up to the iPhone? How does it work with key MIT services and
infrastructure components?

For the demonstration we will primarily focus on applications and
features that relate to MIT, such as web browsing, use of X.509 client
certificates, SyncML synchronization, IMAP email, Jabber, and others.
We'll also take a look at a few less mainstream applications that more
closely fit in the educational technology and social networking realms,
such as GPS-enabled geoblogging and flickr photo sharing. These will be
live demos rather than just a presentation of feature lists. Ribbing of
the presenter while he is trying to get things to work that always work
flawlessly during rehearsal is encouraged.

Nokia smart phones and mobile devices have had a small but growing
presence on campus. Nokia's research relationships with MIT may further
increase the number of such devices we see on campus. Aside from the
demo this will also be an opportunity for general discussion of Symbian
Series 60 devices and how they compare to the (in the US) more
mainstream Windows Mobile, Palm OS, and RIM devices.

Disclaimer: Please note that this presentation will be strictly a
technology preview and show-and-tell. There are no immediate plans for
central support for or a recommendation of Symbian OS smartphones.

Andrew Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator
Information Services & Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology